Cardiorespiratory physiotherapy is an area of physiotherapy that specialises in the prevention, rehabilitation, and compensation of clients with diseases and injuries in the heart and lungs. These conditions may manifest themselves as shortness of breath, persistent cough, increased work of breathing or the reduced ability to exercise.
Common cardiorespiratory conditions include:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Congestive Cardiac Failure (CCF)
- Respiratory Infections, i.e. Pneumonia
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Heart Attack (MI)
- Heart or lung injury or surgery
It is now widely recognised that appropriate exercise can be an effective disease prevention strategy and is integral to the management of those with a variety of cardiorespiratory conditions.